Monday, July 13, 2009

Should loyalty come into play?

I just got off the phone with a friend.  Well, I thought we were friends.  Let's call him Bill.  Bill and I have known each other for 7 years and keep in touch by phone and in person a few times per year.  He contacted me to fix me up with a fraternity brother of his and asked the best way to introduce us.  No problem, but the strange part of the conversation was him explaining that he wanted to invite me to a private "couples" event that he is having but because he bumped into my ex-husband and mentioned it to him already, he wasn't going to invite me.  What the heck is that all about??  He explained that having me present may be uncomfortable for my ex-husband, who is remarried by the way.

O.k for the big question:  Why do people find it necessary to pick and choose between two people who divorce when they are friends with each? and secondly, shouldn't the friends let the persons who were married and now divorced decide comfort and not have them decide for them?

Please respond and share your view.
Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I think it was thoughtful of the mutual friend. Not all marriages end amicably or had enough time to pass for acceptance & closure.
    In reality with friends, you are always initially closer or have a greater rapport with one spouse.
    Finally as guest, the event isn't about one person, but the group as a whole and the dynamics.

    ReplyDelete