Thursday, July 23, 2009

Support Your Local Business - Give Back!

Do you remember the days when you supported local businesses?  I do.  

I grew up in a small town about one hour north of New York City and you knew everyone.  The doctor that delivered me was also my Pediatrician and family doctor.  The family dentist was also in Rotary with my dad and my softball Coach.  It amazes me that within the last 30 years, most of us have gotten away from supporting the local establishment, no matter what the industry.  We shop online and at larger department stores.  Well, with the economy having such negative effects on everyone, some of us are getting back to basics or simply just supporting our local businesses.

This brings me to a local situation here in Tampa that I have had the pleasure of being involved in.  I started using Twitter in April and have met some interesting folks online and developed close, personal relationships with them.  About one month ago, while at a local Tweetup in St. Petersburg, I met someone and we started talking about what we did and things we do in our "spare time".  It was mentioned that a local factory, La Bonita Ole although was showing a profit and paying it's mortgage on time each month that it may be closing soon.  This intrigued me.  

 I read all about the owner, Tammy at www.savethetortillas.com.  I then started Tweeting, sending messages to friends and family nationwide via Face Book and email.  I was overwhelmed at the favorable responses.  During this same time I joined a local Tampa group for TasteCasting and they, too decided what a great opportunity to introduce TasteCasting and support a local business.   

I suggested we solicit the services of those we were following on Twitter and voila! it worked! A Tampa Public relations firm, local businesses, Personal Chefs and Foodies, local media: print, television and radio all got involved.  As a result of everyone's support the event held at La Bonita Ole on 7/22 was a HUGE success!  It's too early to know if we have "Saved the Tortillas", (verdict approximately 8/19), however, it feels great to know that many can come together for a common cause(once strangers) and support a local business through a tough time.  i am so proud of this effort and all involved.  It reminds me of why I'm proud to be an American!!

Take a few minutes to think about what you can do to give back to someone else.  You never know when you or someone you know may be in a similar situation.



2 comments:

  1. Getting back to the basics is a good way to describe the ways that we can help one another weather this storm.

    Hoping that the verdict for 'saving the tortillas' is a good one and sending some positive energy out to help the cause.

    Tampa is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete